Saturday, August 23, 2008

That is NOT your momma

After a long week of work, getting up late (how is that he knows it is Saturday and can actually wake up at 7:30 whereas for the past few days of the work week he wouldn't wake before 8:30?), and riding to and from work, we decided to join Galen and Jess for Mexican food at our favorite, Papas and Beer (a bizarre name to be sure) near Biltmore Square Mall.
A hole in the wall, they serve authentic ("how hard can it be" I once heard someone say there...they just don't understand) Mexican food and beer. I have no idea where the Papa comes from.
As we pulled in front of the restaurant, people spilling out the front doors and onto the sidewalk and parking lot, we dropped Jess off to put our name on the list and expedite the process. As we slowed, I pointed out a couple that Audrey, Mason, & I met at a cookout a few weeks back (a mom and daughter who Audrey wanted to be friends). After Jess got out, we pulled around the corner and I pointed out one other couple, but this wasn't one that Audrey wanted to be friends, it was my ex-girlfriend Ann.
To be honest, it was at least nice to see her, learn that she was doing well, but mostly, it was great to show up with my gorgeous wife (even though she was wearing a ratty out t-shirt...like me...and shorts) and awesomest son and rub it all in her face.
It isn't as if we ended our relationship years ago on a bad note. We were more than civil. Actually, she, Audrey, and other friends all had dinner one night not long after Audrey and I moved in together. But that was a long time ago. I believe the next time Audrey and Ann met was while Audrey and Lydia were out getting Lydia's bridesmaid dress...which Audrey was quick to point out to Ann. With a smile, I am sure.
All in all, here it is, early Saturday morning, NPR on in the background, me searching news about Obama's running mate choice (Joe Biden...it's official), changing diapers, Audrey feeding Mason, and us getting ready to go to the city farmer's market, the day before Audrey's birthday...and I couldn't be happier with how things turned out.
Well, maybe an extra hour of sleep, but nothings perfect.