Here it is, another Sunday morning with Mason waking us up before he rightly should. Lucky for me, Audrey made the coffee and took him out of the room (I did this yesterday for her) and let me sleep in an extra 30 minutes.
While laying about sipping my morning coffee, I didn't feel like checking email or playing Wii (the one I "borrowed" from work for the long weekend), so I read one of her pregnancy/newborn books. It is one of those multitude of books aimed at women giving birth for the first time from some husband/wife doctor team with 27 kids of their own with a new-agey feel just on the cover alone. It is split up amongst the first (normal) 12 months of life of the newborn, discussing everything a new mother (and in turn, father) might encounter, from SIDS to breastfeeding, sitting up to spitting up, and most things in between.
At first, when we brought him home, I was really interested to see where he was at every day ("What is he going to do today that will blow dad's mind!?"), but have since taken a more passive, observing role in his development. I have realized that he will do things, or rather, begin doing things, at his own pace and not according to some new-agey book.
With that said, I looked up three months (he will be 3-months in 11 days). They have three lists at the beginning of each chapter/month, beginning with the "Your Baby Should", "Your Baby May Be Able To", and the "Some Babies Can" (read that last one as "only the supreme beings who will later go on to rule all of mankind or win extraneous amounts of money on Jeopardy"). I read through the first list, assured that our 2-week late demi-genius would be able to successfully check off each item. "Bring both hands together?" Childs play. "Squeal in delight?" Seriously. You have anything harder?
Onto the next list.
"On stomach, can raise chest with arms?" Oh come on, my son is already bench-pressing 110 Lbs."Hold head steady when upright?" Yeah, and he can go on point, too. Okay, well, I have to hold him, but he can do it.
Onto the final check list.
"Bear some weight on legs when held upright?" He wanted to try out for the Boston marathon, but we didn't want to travel north that time of year."Keep head level with body when pulled up by arms?" Only during the first 50 sit-ups, after which he has to strain a little bit more and tends to tuck his head in a bit. "Say 'ah-goo'?" We watched the Democratic Convention. Afterward, he recited, word for word, Obama's entire acceptance speech.
Then he did it in again, in Pig-Latin, just for fun.