I do math in my head fairly quickly, not so much from being a math whiz (I did place high in a standardized test in middle school that put me in high school Algebra in 8th grade...I was never the same after that), but more from repetition. I will sometimes calculate the same formula, say Miles Per Gallon, numerous times over a given trip. I don't calculate MPG on short trips, mind you.
I only mention this to explain how it is that I can know how old my son is to the day. Someone asked me at work how old he was (after commenting on how big he had gotten since his last visit) and I told them, to the day. They looked at me slightly off, and I explained it away.
Regardless of my obsessions and compulsions, our son is getting big quickly. Now, everyone told me "they grow up so fast" or "he will be big before you know it", and I believed them, but everything is in the experience. This morning Audrey woke me at about 6AM asking me to change his diaper, so I got up and took him into the nursery. Perhaps it was the early morning fatigue, my body still not quite back in shape as I begin my "riding to work" mission, but I am sure it was mostly him and the fact that he is gaining weight like an Olson twin loses it.
We have already begun the task of moving his new born - 3 month clothes downstairs and began swapping them out with larger, 6-month clothes. I assume by 1-year he will be wearing my jeans.
After changing him, I brought him out with me to make coffee and get the day underway (and give Mama a little more sleep) and put him in the Baby Crack Swing. As an aside, we have noticed that this swing has, besides a swinging motion, several audio settings to play along with the rotating flora & fauna and mirror. They play, on average, just long enough to get him to sleep and then shut off. The rotating continues, but the sound cuts out at a given time, a time that almost always coincides with his falling into sleep.
As I laid him in the swing, I noticed his feet hanging over the front edge. Granted, there is plenty of room in the crafted bucket seat, but his feet had never before hung off the front. I guess we will have to begin strapping him in and using the play tray.
Oh, it won't be long before I have to chase him down. And I am happy, carrying his large little self around, picking him up when he cries, putting him down when he cries, and singing along with him on our walks when, for no reason, he decides he wants to sing and talk to everything.
If nothing else, he will get me over my oddities and insecurities of singing in public.