
I realized, as Mason was getting Audrey to watch her friend's little girl Olive's video for the umpteenth time the other day (posted on the husband's blog), I realized I have become too busy to write. I draw pictures all day, I sometimes leave work early and drive RVs around (one less as of today, perhaps) and then, after dinner with the family (almost always dinner with the family...which I really like), I draw more pictures or websites for my own clients. Usually in between (or during) all of this, I spend as much time as I can muster playing with Mason. Sometimes, like last Sunday, he plays around me while I am finishing up a project that I started during his nap. Often times, for both of us, this seems like a great situation. He plays in the basement, riding about on his bike, exploring my (non-power) tools and just being a boy. I get to have him close by AND finish my project.
What all of this doesn't leave time for, though, is for documenting this life of ours. I don't pull the camera out nearly often enough. I don't post nearly enough new photos and videos of Mason (and Audrey and I) like I used to.
Does this make me a bad father?
I don't think so (who am I to know?), but I do need to spend more time documenting these last few months of Mason-only life. As I rested on the couch after dinner and Audrey was resting upstairs, Mason joined me on the couch and we looked through his first 6 months photo book that we made. I explained to him each photo, pointing out Mommy's belly getting bigger by the month, how that was HIM inside her belly, that was HIM in the hospital room with Mommy, that was HIM sleeping on Daddy's chest on the same couch that we were then sitting on. I am not sure if he got the idea, but as he got older (in the photos), he started realizing that the baby in the photos was Mason.

We got through the last page and he was done, his interest waning already. I realized that I needed to consolidate the next 18 months or so of his life and prepare that book for Christmas before our lives explode again.
The only difference this time, is he will get to be a bigger part of it all.