Thursday, October 30, 2008

The Great Pumpkin

There are timeless things that I want to share with my son. Some of them, I want to share with him now, like Charlie Brown, Linus Van Patten, The Great Pumpkin, and the fine art of getting pumpkin guts all over you. Unfortunately, he is not that great at wielding a knife at this stage in his development (I believe that starts to happen about the same time as walking with scissors).

Regardless, a few weeks ago we took Mason to Hickory Nut Gap Farm out in Fairview, NC. Aside from this being the mountain top site of mine and Audrey's wedding nearly 2 years ago, it is a autumnal wonderland, with pumpkin patches, corn mazes, apples, and a gorgeous fall panorama of western North Carolina - one of the most beautiful places this time of year. Aside from peppering the poor boy with sunlight and camera shots, we brought home a peck of apples, some fresh, organic meats, and a pumpkin.

We haven't ever really planned on dressing the little guy up (see Andrea's gift) for Halloween proper, seeing it more for us than him at this point (and with a cold snap coming through WNC), and despite the lack of visiting children (we had 3 groups last year, one of which greedily swiped nearly all of our candy), we wanted to carve a pumpkin.

As it (and most things) turned out, I carved up the pumpkin while Audrey put Mason to bed/fell asleep. I am either an over achiever or lame duck when it comes to carving pumpkins. This year, thanks to an email from an old friend, I was a bit of an over achiever.

Audrey just came up from bed to see the progress. Mason will miss this years bounty of festiveness and pumpkin seeds. I guess I will have to wait another year to share Charlie and the gang, the pumpkin seeds, and the boyish joy of squishing pumpkin guts between your fingers.