Monday, August 17, 2009

A change is a gonna come

This morning we awoke to another bout of Mason's fever (he had a fever much of yesterday with sporadic bits of wakefullness and full-blown enthusiasm). We are pretty sure it has something to do with the nearly mouth-full of teeth that are all trying to come in at the same time. We all got up at 7 am as is our routine, but he was quickly laying back down on Mom's chest on the couch and going back to sleep. A mouthful of Children's Tylenol will do that, I guess.

We debated on whether to take him to his new school meet-n-greet at Country Day Montesorri in Fletcher, but after a little rest and some breakfast, he was feeling rowdy as ever, so we packed him up and headed off, as a family unit, to meet his new teachers.

We met the two main teacher's who would be working with Mason and about 10 other students (some students are all day, some are MWF, Mason TWTh, etc. so not all students are there at the same time). Both had gone through Montesorri schools as children, one with the main teacher, the other had her children there, so that felt like a good sign. I am sort of familiar with Montesorri teaching methods from some of the education classes I took in college (check it out here if you want: http://www.montessori.edu/ or http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Montessori_method) and was glad to hear that Mason's teachers had experienced it first hand.

He didn't seem bothered by it, dove right into playing with toys (anything with wheels is his thing these days) and even socialized a bit with a few of the other new students. Tomorrow Audrey will drop him off for a an hour or so to let him get more used to it, have a little time alone with the two teachers, and let them do their orientation. Seeing as none of the students speak, most use sign-language, it should be an interesting orientation.

Thursday will be the big day. I told Audrey I would go as I could see the look in her eyes of dropping her boy off with a pack of strangers (well trained strangers, but still). I am sure we will both have a hard time with it, but he is growing, changes come, and we just have to suck it up and deal with them. Isn't that what parenting is all about?