Friday, September 19, 2008

Cold is the season

Last night was a rough one, constant feedings, up all night wrestling with a booger filled nose, and yet somehow, despite not being able to breathe clearly, assuredly getting as little sleep as his mother and father, he fed at about 8 AM, noisily clambering for both breakfast and air, only to look up at us peering down upon him, with bright eyes and a smile.

At this, I thought to myself, 'If he can be this miserable with a cold to boot, then I can get out of our warm bed and make us coffee'. The water in the kettle and on the burner, I let Zola out and stepped into the morning air and took a deep fresh breath. As I exhaled, I could see my breath drifting out over our back yard like a storm cloud and knew that summer, although technically still 3 days from its demise, is over. Fall is here and settling in for the long haul, and with her, she brings the makings for little children's colds and stuffy noses.