After 9 plus months of waiting, after a 3 week period where I have jumped every time the phone vibrates in my pocket, we finally have some news: this being born business happens at its own rate.
Granted, I should have known this, being just shy of two weeks late myself. And, granted (yet again), today is the second due date, so I really shouldn't be too surprised. In reality, I am not surprised. I am relatively calm under the circumstances (the circumstances being that we are about to be parents for the first time and all that comes with that) and actually relishing the uncertainty of the situation, unlike all of those Christmas Eves spent wide awake, waiting for footsteps or a deer whining on the rooftop. At least a slight jingling of bells or the sullen crush of snow.
Since we live in western North Carolina, I am guessing I won't hear the little bird footsteps on the roof this time of year.